Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Los Angeles

After the debauchery that was San Francisco, Cam and I needed to unwind. We headed for Los Angeles and crashed with an old friend of mine, Megan. (Thanks, Megan!) Her place was located in West Hollywood, just off of Melrose, so we had a number of food options around us. We arrived early in the morning, so both of us were craving a serious breakfast. We walked up to Santa Monica Blvd and began heading west. It didn't take long until we came upon our first of several meals in LA....
Eat Well

The moment that we saw this place, we were pretty sure that we had the place. Located on Santa Monica Blvd, just off of Harper Avenue, it caught our eyes immediately. (8252 Santa Monica Blvd) Cam made the smart decision to check the menu first, though. After a quick look over it, we knew that we were set. The server told us to sit down wherever we liked and so we chose a spot along the wall. The place was small, but it was clean and bright. The server(s) was/were also very pleasant, so that was a big plus too. We were brought a couple of coffees ($1.95 with refills, and it was reaaally good coffee) and waters as we looked over the menu. We had arrived before 11am, so I was able to look at their breakfast special (eggs, meat, toast, hash browns/fruit/etc for $5.95). Meanwhile, Cam was more interested in the house specialities. He finally settled upon the "Big Mess", which was described as potatoes, cheese, peppers and meat, along with whatever they had kicking around the kitchen. For $8.50, how could he go wrong? This is what came about, a few minutes (and coffee refills) later....

Seriously, looks agree with the taste in this case. All of the food was -really- good. I finished my food before Cam, which means a tonne when it comes to breakfast. Cam was left content and I was left full. Overall, both Cam and I give Eat Well 5 Bacons right across the board. If you're in West Hollywood and need some good, hearty breakfast, head over to Eat Well! After all, Cam and I went there the next day for breakfast again! Yes, it was -that- good. PS. Here's Cam eating.
 
Pink's

When I lived in LA, I never did manage to stop at this iconic hot dog stand. I would walk past it and realize that I didn't want to wait in line for a minimum of 30 minutes, so yeah, never did try it out. On this day that Cam and I were out and about in the city, though, we had the time to kill and weren't terribly hungry, so it was a good option. Located on the corner of La Brea Ave and Melrose Ave (709 North La Brea Avenue), Pink's has been a mainstay for over 70 years. I can guarantee that there will be a lineup nearly wrapped around the building at any given time of the day/week. They have a multitude of chili dogs, many of which are named after celebrities, ranging from straight-forward chili-cheese dogs, to double chili-cheese dogs, topped with sauerkraut and the like. Cam and I chose to go with the simple and cheap option, since we were both low on cash and not all that hungry. Considering the length of the wait to order, the speed at which our dogs came out with was amazing. They were loaded to the top with chili and cheese, and the dogs themselves were of substantial! Cam and I made very short work of them and were on our way. I'd have to give this place 5 Bacons! Seriously, if you have the time to wait, do it!
California Pizza Kitchen
After spending the day out and about in Los Angeles, skating around, Cam and I were ready for some serious eats with Megan. She had asked me earlier in the day what we wanted to eat. We both said no to Mexican, since I was waiting to take Cam to my favourite Mexican place the next day, and I was craving pasta. So, she made the suggestion of the California Pizza Kitchen, which is a larger chain, somewhat similar to Boston Pizza. It had a wide selection of entrees, from pizza, to pasta, to steaks, so it seemed like a good choice for a group of people that didn't have a clue what they really wanted to eat.

Much like most chains, the restaurant itself was expansive, clean and bright. We were immediately seated at a table by the window and given our menus. We all ordered water, as Cam and I were in detox mode and Megan's been training for marathons. (GO MARLOW!) Anywho, I was still set on pasta, so I went with the Garlic Cream Fettuccine. Meanwhile, Cam chose a seafood pasta of sorts and Megan ate light, taking a simple salad. It didn't take long for our food to arrive. It all looked quite lovely, and we all agreed that it was pretty good. I mean, how do you screw up a salad, really? haha. But yeah, the pasta was quite good, nothing too crazy, but not sub-par either. For the price, it was pretty much worth it, especially for the portions. Then again, it was just a chain restaurant, but a good one at that! Definitely a place to take the family if you're all feeling like something different. An overall 3.5 Bacons from me.



Los Burritos

If there was one place that I really, really missed from my days in LA, it's got to be this place. Located on Hollywood Blvd, just off of Wilcox Ave (6517 Hollywood Blvd), Los Burritos was the first Mexican food that I experienced in California. Megan used to go there for lunch a few times a week, since it was close to where she worked. So, I'd meet up with her once and a while and go with her. I always remembered it as really great food and really great service, so I told Cam that he had to try it. After skating around Santa Monica for the day, we were both famished and I knew that it was the perfect time for Los Burritos.

Considering that Los Burritos is located right on Hollywood Blvd, I've never seen it busy. Usually, only one or two tables are filled, so you have a pick on where you want to sit. The interior is fairly small, but clean and has a lot of character. The kitchen is open to the rest of the place, so you can watch your food (and drinks) being prepared. The manager (and possibly the owner) is generally around, as well, so that adds a personal touch to the experience. Anywho, Cam and I chose the booth that I used to choose, sat down and were immediately brought water. I ordered a bottle of beer, just because that's what I do, while Cam stuck with his water. I already knew what I wanted, chicken enchiladas, so it was really up to Cam to make a choice. He ended up going with the same thing, as I had talked it up all day. haha With our orders placed, we were brought our free chips and salsa. I always enjoy getting real salsa instead of that tomato paste crap that we call salsa these days, especially when it's free!


After about 10 minutes, our plates were brought out to us....

SO MUCH FOOD. For under 7 bucks, how could we complain? The food was all hot and fresh, the aroma coming off of it so enticing. The combination of rice, salad, beans and enchiladas was just what we needed. Combining them all is the key to enjoying this dish, in my mind. We chowed our food down in no time, enjoying every bite of it. It was as good as I had remembered it! So much flavour, not too much spice and plain good-tasting. Cam agreed that it was some of the best food that he had encountered, thus far. After cleaning our plates, we were brought more chips and salsa, which we happily gobbled down before paying our bill. Seriously, this much good food for under $20, especially in one of the most touristy areas of LA is a blessing. I'm going to miss Los Burritos all over again. 5 Bacons, across the board.

Stay sharp, kids
Jesse

No comments:

Post a Comment