Saturday, December 1, 2012

Tangent Cafe

Greetings to you all, and welcome back to another day of breakfast in Vancouver.  It's my only day off this week, so I decided to go out and get some things done.  Along the way, I figured that I'd stop for some breakfast while I was on The Drive.  Because it was before 10am on a Saturday, not many places were open for me to eat at, so I opted for a newly-opened place called the Tangent Cafe.  Now, I use the term "newly-opened" fairly loosely, since Tangent Cafe is actually in the exact same spot that Sorry Babushka used to be.  Basically, S.B. closed for a couple of weeks, renovated a bit, then reopened with a new name.  Anywho, I decided to go for it.

So, the serving staff seemed to be quite unchanged from before.  The decor has at least been updated this time around, so I couldn't complain about that.  Otherwise, it seemed much the same as when it was Sorry Babushka.  I sat down and was brought a menu and a coffee ($2.50).  Compared to before, the menu has been greatly condensed and the prices went up by a few bucks.  I decided to go with the special, which was a smoked salmon benny.  The server took my menu and I began the wait for my food...

It actually didn't take long at all for my food to arrive...


Smoked Salmon Benny

So, what can I say?  The salmon looked a lot like ham.  I know that it wasn't ham, but it certainly looked like the salmon-in-a-box that you buy at those tourist stores in Gastown.  It didn't taste bad, but it wasn't all that visually appealing.  The sauce was quite good, but there was nothing really notable otherwise.  Meanwhile, the potatoes were the standard from-frozen ones with no seasoning and the fruit was from a can.  I also only managed to get one refill of coffee, which was a bit disappointing considering that there were 5 servers working and the place wasn't full.  So, all in all, I can't say that I was dazzled or really overly-impressed with the Tangent Cafe.  Was it worth $15.50 plus tax?  Nope.  You would think if a place jacked its prices up by a few bucks, the food quality would increase as well.  Alas, the food quality was about the same (if not a bit less) as it was when the place was Sorry Babushka.  The service was decent, but once again, could have been better.  I have to say that Tangent Cafe gets 2 Bacons from me.  You can definitely find better/cheaper food in the area.

Stay sharp, kids
Jesse

No comments:

Post a Comment