Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Truck Stop Cafe

Happy 2013 to you, world!  Isn't it going to be great when we look back and tell the kids about how many apocalypses we've survived?  It almost sounds like a new t-shirt to me.

The end of the world aside, I figured that I'd start this year off by going for breakfast at a place that I've been meaning to go to since I started this blog (aka, for a few years!).  Located on the corner of Clark Drive and Napier Street (1046 Clark Drive), the Truck Stop Cafe has been in business for quite a number of years.  It's been the same family operating it, I believe.  I used to always walk past it and say, "Boy, that looks like quite the greasy spoon.  I should go in there."  Alas, I was always in a hurry, not hungry or just plain not in the mood for diner food.  Today, though, this was the day.  My coworkers and I started hitting up the Truck Stop for lunch some days, since they have some decent burgers and clubhouse sandwiches for a good price.  Plus, the people running it have always been really nice to us.  The three of us decided on two things differently today, though:

1) We were going to dine-in.
2) We were having breakfast.

So, we flipped our menus over and perused the breakfast menu.  There's an all-day breakfast special for $4.50 (2 eggs, 2 bacon or sausage, potatoes and toast).  Me, I went straight to the point and ordered the Trucker Special (3 pancakes, 3 eggs, 3 bacon, 3 sausage) and a coffee.  We all ordered and went to idle conversation about work and other mundane things.  We were also brought our waters and my coffee, which tasted as I expected from a diner, a bit watery but not offensive.  Anywho, I guess I can take a moment to describe the interior of this place for you.  It's quite plain and homey.  A few obligatory pictures of big rigs and the like to justify the name "Truck Stop Cafe", a few paper signs describing specials, etc.  A few booths, a few tables and 4 stools at a little counter, with the kitchen open and visible to the rest of the place.  Overall, just a good, little place.

So, somewhere between 5 and 10 minutes passed and we were brought our food...



Trucker Special

As you can see, they didn't skimp on the portions!  The bacon was actually pretty good, as were the eggs.  The pancakes were quite tasty, not gonna lie... probably some of the best diner pancakes that I've experienced in a long time.  Meanwhile, the sausages were big, but a bit on the bland side.  A bit of syrup definitely went a long way in helping them.  The other two seemed to enjoy their food, judging by how quickly they cleared their plates.  With my final bill coming to $9.07 (including taxes), I couldn't complain in the slightest with the meal.  I mean, not the greatest quality, but hell, for under $10 you're lucky to get a coffee and some toast at a lot of places these days.  Plus, once again, the service is great!  Overall, I have to give 3 Bacons to the Truck Stop Cafe.  Affordable, friendly and not greasy enough to kill you in one sitting.  In addition, I will say that their burgers and clubs are tasty, so don't be afraid to grab one of those either!

Stay sharp, kids
Jesse

No comments:

Post a Comment